Wednesday, June 3, 2015

How To: Mount Farm

Its been awhile since I've done a how to blog post, in fact not since my old one... The new expac has just kind of thrown a wrench into a lot of the norms I followed when writing these.

But this week, were coving:  Mount Farming


Now, even those who aren't die hard collectors admit:  That green dragonhawk is mighty pretty...  So ya, its worth trying for.  But who wants to spend MOUNTAINS of gold buying mounts when you can farm a few free ones.

Your Options:

Instances
Raids
World
Craftable
Buy (Wont cover in this post..!  I think you can figure out how to 'buy' it.  I'll have to do a making gold post at some point..!) --Includes real money and gold--



First:  Instances

Now grinds are a PAIN, yes.  But know what makes them worse?  Going over and over with no results!  Now, with instances you have the regs:  Rivendales mount from Strat, and you got the Heroic drops:  Seth Halls and the raven mount.

If your doing Heroics for the mount then your only able to hit it ONCE per day PER character.  That helps pace you but it also makes a lot of people antsy.

If its from a non heroic then ya you can farm till your blue in the face, but is that good for sanity?



Second:  Raids

Like Heroics, theres a set time period on these.  But in this case its a week and the drop chances tend to be below 3%.   Firelands, Onyixa's Lair, Dragon Soul, and MANY more have highly coveted mounts!


Third: World

Ya.. This means Rares mainly, and some world bosses.  Usually these are rares that only spawn once ever few days and aren't fun to catch. 

Due to the pain in the ass waiting on rare spawns is, im covering that one right now:

Park a alt that can easily solo in one of the spawn points and check it:  When you get on, before you log, and as much as you care to during.  This goes for Void Portals too.  Don't spend HOURS watching for something that spawns once or twice a week!  You'll go insane!

Another method:  Realm Hop.  Thanks to Custom Pre Groups you can easily join and leave groups to get tugged to other servers.  Infact, theres always a tone in the list saying their JUST for realm hoppers and give details on the realms Pop.  You can check a few of these when you pop in on the location to give you more ground.


Forth:  Craftable

In most cases, this IS the easiest solution for a few quickies.  But if your not a hoarder of mats then you might find it painful, especially when it comes to engineering mounts!





Now, How To Get Mounts and KEEP your SANITY!

First step:  Decide which you want to try for first.  Needless to say, don't overwhelm yourself.  I say try for atleast two mounts during a week but NO MORE then 7. 




Next:  Split up the days you'll work at them.  If your after two raid mounts a week then you have less clears then if you tried for two heroic mounts a week.  I suggest doing only ONE run a day, two if their very short (Like say Kara, the mount drops RIGHT at the beginning where as something Dragon Soul requires about a hour to account for all the RP for a chance at the end ones).  

Your the best judge for time you have or want to put towards these mounts, but I personally like to do one raid and 6 Heroic/Reg runs a week.  For me, that was less of a hassle and headache then doing every possible run each day.




Third step:  Pick a alt.  Seriously, a ALT.  Their not useless, they are PERFECT for parking outside of the Heroics, raids, regs, or areas you need to farm for mats.  Personally, I mainly do this with any 90 or below with no garrisons, or just ones I don't care to keep up at the time.

Its a easy method though.  Why fly there daily/weekly when you can park a alt who can easily solo the area?  So my level 78 DK who I haven't touch since Wrath has a purpose:  Farming Rivendale.  And my 5th 90 pally sits at DS, killing deathwing weekly.  I save myself ALOT of time flying there and I feel less overwhelmed because I know im barely giving my mount farming 3 hours of my week.

Side Note:  Don't try to make those daily/weekly runs on MULTIPLE characters.  You'll get confused and drain yourself.  If you DO try parking multiple alts for the same mount, I suggest doing it for a raid that's pretty quick (under 30 minutes to solo) and stick to the one thing a week.  Good ones for this include Kara, Onyixa's Lair, and Ashes.




Forth:  Keep to your schedule.  Don't skip a day thinking you'll double up tomorrow.  You'll make a habit and then realize a month later:  I haven't done that raid in WEEKS!




Lastly:  Be patient.  Seriously, patience.  Sometimes that 90% drop rate acts like a .002% for that ONE person.  And some of those .1% act as 100%s for others.  Just because it doesn't drop your first or third time doesn't mean it wont.  Try not to get discouraged by low drop rates or bad luck.  You'll find it at some point.  Probably when you least expect it.





Closing Advice:  Switch it up.  After a month, im sick of doing Strat daily.  So what do I do?  I switch over and start farming mats for my black panther or I switch to a different heroic/instance for a week or two.  Maybe you should consider switching it up every few weeks just to break the cycle.  If you run yourself into the ground then you'll never reach it.





I hope yall enjoyed this quick guide.  Im sorry its not too long, I usually write these over the weekend and ended up suffering from food poisoning.  It was sort of a wing it from my idea board.  As always, I take request and love comments!

Elve

No comments:

Post a Comment