Friday, May 26, 2017

Gamers want a Beach Body Too Part 2: Work It

You heard me... Workout.

Now this is still home... No gym



1.  Where's free time?

Waiting on a raid/queue, flying, loading screen, waiting on a raid to wipe...  You got the idea?  If there is a moment where you are going 30 seconds or more without doing something besides social then use that for a quick workout!


I take 5 minutes twice a day to feed my dogs... During this time I do squats, arm curls, and lunges. 

When flying on a path or just aimlessly across the world I stand and march in place and touch my toes.

When I need to pay attention but not really do the keys i'll just get up and then sit.  Over and over...  (I do that a lot with lowbie healing or questing with Nav...)

You got the picture?  Find stuff you can do in reps of 5-10 for shorter waits.  And do what you can when you can.



2.  Fidget!


Yes, shake your legs, bounce in your chair, get up and down... That movement being kept constant is burning calories and building muscle.  Just don't forget to change sides.


3.  Dude where's my mount?

In real life we get to ride at 16 and usually have our own mount by mid 20s...  But maybe walking would work better.

Take a walk around your area or a track and enjoy your area or just to the mail box and back.  Have a dog?  Go walk Fido! 

I know this requires leaving the house but fresh air and sun light are good for you.  I hated Pokémon Go but there was many a pale face wondering the streets...  It's time to do that again...

Walks are great times to be social, listen to music/audio books, or just get your head straight and blow off steam.  And because your not jogging/running you don't have to worry about flapping about or building up too much sweat...  The cardio alone is great for your heart and body and you can work up to power walking, jogging, and then running as you go.


4.  Invest in equipment you'll USE!  Then Use it while being entertained!

Treadmills/bikes, great to do while binge watching TV/YouTube. 

I got a cheap peddle machine that fits under my desk.  I sit and peddle while I play WoW and it works.  Sadly, I have well muscled legs already so its not as effective to me as it was Nav.

But having equipment that can be used while your being entertained is a great investment for your health.


I know heart rate and blah blah...  But trust me, better to work a muscle then sit and stare at the screen! 


This stuff works well for me and even 5 more minutes of activity a day is better then you think and none of this really takes you away from gaming for long if at all!

Elve

No comments:

Post a Comment